See 8 parasites that live inside humans and what they cause
Some time ago, here at Mega Curious, we published a report that shows that a parasite infection can be very unpleasant. beings can cause damage and very complicated consequences for us humans, and here we have talked about them several times, as you can see by clicking here and here.
And now we bring here 8 parasites that inhabit humans. They are long, worm-shaped shapes, and some of them can take a long time to identify, while others can wreak havoc before you even notice their presence. The list was published by the Scientific American website. Check out:
This worm is responsible for one of the most common parasitic infections in the world. More prevalent in children, the disease caused by oxurium is present in several countries of the world, including developed nations in Europe and the United States. The main consequence of oxyuron infection is that the female larva of this species, at night, comes out of the body through the anal orifice and lays the eggs near the entrance to the rectum, causing severe itching.
Children's contact with scratching eggs makes their hands contaminated, and they become a great source of transmission to other children. Yes, if you are thinking, you have probably had this parasite inside, as the infection is extremely common in almost all children until they are 12 years old.
Surely you must remember the tapeworm of the time who had classes on diseases and parasites in science while still in elementary school. This parasite is remarkable because it can reach an incredible 6 meters in length within the human body without even realizing it. Identification only happens when it is possible to see parts of the worm in the droppings.
Infection occurs by ingestion of undercooked red meat contaminated with parasite eggs. There are two types of tapeworm: saginata and solium, which cause teniasis or cysticercosis. This is the most serious disease between the two and is caused only by Taenia solium, which can attack muscles, eyes and the brain, causing convulsions, pain or even death. It occurs when the parasite's larvae infiltrate the bloodstream from the intestine, migrating to other parts of the body.
This parasite causes a severe infection that can culminate in symptoms such as fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting and even fatal cardiorespiratory problems. The size of the problem varies with the number of trichinella larvae that the person eats through the uncooked pork. In order to kill the bodies of this worm that are possibly present in pork, it is recommended to cook this food at least 77 degrees Celsius.
If cooking is not done properly, the larvae, which are enclosed in protective caps, are released upon reaching the stomach when the organ acids dissolve this protective layer. After that, the parasite can reach up to 3 millimeters in length, and the females move through the bloodstream until they settle in the muscles, where they will cause the symptoms described.
Schistosomiasis, a disease caused by this parasite, can cause injury, inflammation and swelling of organs such as liver, bladder, lungs or intestines, where the eggs of larvae pass through the blood. Adult larvae may lodge in the bloodstream for years, and over time, if symptoms are not treated, fatal bowel bleeding or bladder cancer may occur. Contamination by these larvae occurs through the skin when people come into contact with the infected snail or when bathing in waters where these hosts are present.
This is the parasite that causes filariasis, or elephantiasis, which results in disproportionate swelling of the arms, legs, breasts, or genital areas. This is because the larva, contracted by the bite of some mosquito and fly species, settles in the lymphatic vessels causing serious inflammation. At the stage of infection, these parasites can reach up to 10 centimeters in length.
Unfortunately, there is no known cure for this disease yet, but it needs to be treated. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), about 120 million people worldwide are infected with the disease, among which 40 million suffer from physical deformities caused by the disease.
6. Trichuris tricuria
This parasite inhabits the large intestine of the infected and can cause the condition called trichuriasis. The worm can reach 5 inches in length, and the symptoms are weight loss, diarrhea and anemia. In more severe cases, rectal prolapse may occur, the condition in which the walls of the anus become protruding.
The main way to contract this parasite is by contact with human feces contaminated with eggs. Children are more prone to this kind of disease because sometimes they do not take proper care when playing in a dirty place.
About 1.5 billion people infected with roundworm make the infection caused by this parasite the most common in the world. The biggest problem that aggravates the spread of this worm is the lack of basic sanitation, which causes it mainly to affect the less developed tropical and subtropical regions. However, no one is free from contracting ascariasis, the name of roundworm disease, as contamination occurs through plant foods grown in soil fertilized with human feces loaded with eggs.
Most of the contamination is asymptomatic, but in some extreme cases can cause death of the host due to intestinal block, as the larvae reach 30 centimeters in length. In addition to fatal cases, roundworm can cause difficulty breathing, fever, phlegm, among others, depending on which organ is affected. Contamination begins in the intestine when the eggs become larvae and then spread through other organs through the bloodstream. According to WHO, approximately 60, 000 deaths a year, mostly children, are caused by roundworm infection.
08. Ancylostoma Duodenale
This larva is also present in human feces, and direct contact is the main cause of contamination. Unlike most parasites, which lodge in individuals through oral ingestion, it invades people's bodies through hair follicles or sweat glands, which are responsible for sweat. Symptoms range from breathing difficulties and coughing when the larva reaches the lung, and abdominal pain and anemia when the affected organ is the bowel.
The parasite can reach up to 1 centimeter in length in adulthood when it inhabits the digestive system. Hot weather regions and least developed countries are hit hardest, according to WHO data, which also point out that approximately 740 million people worldwide are infected with hookworm, the disease caused by this worm.
* Posted on 10/08/2015